A Day in the Life: Vitaliy

LOYOLA STUDENT BLOGGERS OFFER A GLIMPSE INTO THE DAY IN THE LIFE OF A LOYOLA STUDENT—WHICH, LIKE OUR STUDENTS, IS ANYTHING BUT TYPICAL.

5:26 a.m.
Yes, I’m up before the sun. Hard for many of my fellow Greyhounds to fathom, I’m aware.

But that’s precisely why I’m writing this, to tell you about a day in the life of a first-year commuter student at Loyola…

Once I’m up, I like to embody a simple Englishman, you know: a cup of green tea (no extended pinkie, though) with an electronic version of morning news. I get my fix of politics, culture, current events, and other highly entertaining stories that run through my mind for the rest of the day, feeding me energy.

My schedule this semester has mostly morning classes, which works well for me because I have work in the afternoon.

Let’s get it started [insert the rest of The Black Eyed Peas lyrics here]

Jacket zipped, scarf around the neck, a Washington Capitals beanie on, and here I go, stepping out into the real world.

8:00 a.m
Through experience, I can confidently testify that one of the greatest challenges of college courses is arriving (on time). Once you’re in the building, the welcoming presence of the faculty and other students in Sellinger Hall do the rest. And the building itself energizes me. I like that. I like Sellinger.

Loyola_University_Maryland_Sellinger_MD_6037851

Early Afternoon
I work as an AVID tutor in a BCPS (Baltimore County Public Schools) middle school, preparing the future of our nation for continuing education.

Preparation is the best predictor of success. Utilizing Loyola values, helping kids achieve potential in school is the most inspiring aspect of the day.

The middle school crowd can be intense, but the work gives me inspiration. Regardless of the title or responsibilities, at the end of the day, if I helped one of my students discover a passion for a college-bound life, I succeeded. In the end, it is all about assisting with the first step. These kids… they will do the rest.

3:00 p.m.
Formally, my day is over. But (and there’s always a but) I must return home, which means facing city traffic. Dun dun dun [dramatic voice]. I read an article once which encouraged the reader to turn negative aspects of the day into less negative ones. Therefore I use the time I sit in traffic to contemplate life and its purpose. (If I’m being honest, I do this for two minutes or so, after which I turn on the radio and listen to Hello by Adele.)

5:00 p.m.
I’m home and my thoughts turn to food.

Remember, I eat real home-cooked meals every day. Because I live at home. Which means I’ve got the loveliest woman in my life, my mom. Not only is she lovely, but she sure can cook. It’s a good life.

Russians: We know how to eat.

7 p.m.

The majority of tasks throughout the day have been completed. The only ones remaining are the gym and studying. I won’t tell you much about my gym routine because I don’t want to give away the “secret recipe…”

Just pretend it's me. It's easy, I do it all the time!

Just pretend it’s me. It’s easy, I do it all the time!

After a workout, I settle in to prioritize my reading and assignments for the following day and to get some work done.

A sample of the night’s reading

And before I know it, it’s bed time. I set my alarm for the next day and get some shuteye.