Anointed, Appointed, and Sent

There are no adequate words to describe my Loyola experience. As a writer, for the first time I feel as if I am wordless.
Vernon already expressed much of my parting sentiments in his article: Don’t Say Goodbye . . . say Thank You. Therefore, I go another direction and speak to the students who are new to Loyola’s Spiritual and Pastoral Care Program, or who are still discerning if it is a correct fit for them.
My life before beginning my MA was in a serious rut. I thought I would die of boredom and lack of fulfillment if I did not take a step. However, I did not know what that should be.
As I knelt in prayer, asking God to please provide divine guidance, I heard pastoral repeatedly in my head. “What is that?” I wondered. I Googled pastoral and found my way onto Loyola’s Spiritual and Pastoral Care website. I knew I was home.
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him (1 John 2:27, New International Version).
Loyola has anointed me. I have humbly been part of many great formational experiences: Alpha Sigma Nu, Emerging Scholars, Professional Seminar Paper, wonderful MA professors, exceptional staff, spiritual and learned classmates, Graduate Assistantship experiences working on CACREP and Continuing Education Programs, coursework, service-learning, retreats, and more!
I have just been appointed a Lay Ecclesial Minister for the Archdiocese of Baltimore, specifically as a Director of Religious Education for a local Catholic Parish. Loyola has sent me forth to minister to God’s people.
Listen to your instincts, to your intuition, and to your God. You may not have your post-Loyola future all figured out, but that is the beauty of it. If God is truly the center of our lives, then we strive to follow God’s plan, not our own.
John Lennon said it well, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” I planned to go to Loyola, and, with God’s grace, the rest just fell into place.

The author, JoAnn Harvan-Chin, with Dr. Jill Snodgrass, Dr. Ralph Piedmont, Dr. Tom Rodgerson, and classmate Pat Kennedy

4 thoughts on “Anointed, Appointed, and Sent

1. I just found this program on Saturday and as I read the content of the program, I sat on my couch and literally bawled! I knew this was the answer to my longing.
    I made a call today to get additional information and received even more confirmation. I am now sitting here reading all of the blog posts and yours resonated with me for I too have been suffering from lack of fulfillment. This is the first time that I am actually excited about the faith walk and the possibilities. I took the first step today by making the call.
    I will be 52 in a couple of weeks, I have a son in college and one on the way to high school. I am an RN case manager that works full time and I have NO idea how I am going to do this but I know that God has called me.
    This is it. Your post was both moving and inspiring. Thank you and God bless you in your new role.

2. Dear Wendi,

What a blessing you are! Thank you so much for reading the blog and taking the time to reply. I am so happy for you to be taking the first steps on this new journey with you and God.

May God grant God’s choicest blessings on you. You CAN do it all. One step and one day at a time. Loyola is a VERY supportive community and they will be there for you whatever you need.

Welcome to the Loyola community!

Stay blessed,
    JoAnn

• Just seeing this reply. Thank you for taking the time. I guess you are a few days closer to starting Bible camp! It will be great I’m sure. Maybe one day we will get a chance to meet. I’m looking forward to this journey.

3. Oh and Wendi, thank YOU for your blessing upon me in my new role. I need it. I am running Bible Camp for the 1st time ever and it starts in 19 days and 23 hours :-)