Name: Glenda Laurent Dickonson
Program: MS/PhD in pastoral counseling
- How far along are you in the program?
Completed MS coursework and will be graduating in May 2012. One toe deep into the PhD program.
- Favorite Quote:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
- Favorite spot in Baltimore:
- Where is your hometown?
Hyattsville, MD, formerly from The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
- What is the most meaningful class you’ve taken?
- Where is your placement?
The Life Center, Hospice of the Chesapeake
CAP Program, PG Health & Human Services
What is your inspiration?
The tenacity that my mother showed in the face of adversity and the unconditional love my parents had for me.
- What are three unusual things about yourself?
1. I enjoy public speaking and I rarely write my speeches beforehand.
2. I was born on an island but I have little love for beaches.
3. If I had limitless options to choose a career, I’d be a dancer.
- What is your dream job?
Facilitating groups and workshops for my private company – Glenda Inc.
- What else should the readers of Making Meaning know about you?
This is my third career and my second master’s program. I had already earned a Master of Science in Guidance and Counseling 20 years earlier, and here I was again back in school. When many of my friends were looking at retirement on the distant horizon, I was considering a career change. I tend not to be a conformist and follow regular paths; instead, I enjoy blazing my own trail.
I am the mother of two successful daughters, and the grandmother of two handsome infant boys. I am Catholic and enjoy my church. I am also a Toastmaster and after 17 years, I still enjoy participating in the local chapter, Columbians Toastmasters Club.
My greatest treasure is my group of friends. My friends are the family I chose, and they have been good to me. Sometimes I refer to them as my blessing. As far as perspective, I strive to see the donut instead of the hole. It makes it so much easier to roll out of bed every morning.