So you’re trying to cram for a psych exam, and your roommate is blasting Miley Cyrus.
- Get to know your roommate. While you and your roommate may be vastly different, try talking to her to find out where she’s coming from. Even knowing just basic facts about each other can help you relate to one another.
- Set ground rules together. Try to agree on times when it’s too late to play music and decide what times the room should be noise free.
- Speak up when you have something to say. One of the worst things to do is to be upset and not say anything. If you have a concern, voice it POLITELY. Your roommate may not understand that what she is doing is annoying or offensive.
- Provide alternatives. If your roommate plays loud video games, suggest she use earphones.
- Step up your game if necessary. If after repeated requests your roommate is still disrespecting your boundaries, set up a meeting with your roommate and your RA. Your RA will have had practice in trying to help people overcoming similar problems.